Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Australian Meat Pie!!

My first attempt at Australian Meat Pie!
I ate my first meat pie upon my arrival to Australia in 2004 when I was 19 years old! I have never really had one since, and I was dyeing to try one! I finally joined my hubby for grocery shopping and picked up all the necessary ingredients - minus a few that I forgot....

The following recipe and my substitutions - Keep in mind that this makes 8 small tort like meat pies, so I substituted a lot to make 1 big pie!!!



Total Time:      50 min
Prep:      10 min
Cook:     40 min

Australian Meat Pie

Ingredients

  • 3 pounds beef chuck, diced 1/2-inch cubes - I used 1 pound ground beef and 1 giant red potato
  • 1/2 cup flour- no flour
  • 3 tablespoons vegetable oil - no oil
  • 2 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper - ooops forgot
  • 1 tablespoon ground coriander - oops forgot
  • 1 tablespoon celery seed -  ooops forgot
  • 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce - didn't have so I used some cooking white wine - they are nothing alike, so don't asked me why, I figured for moisture
  • 1/4 cup soy sauce
  • 4 cups beef or chicken stock - used 2 cups
  • 4 sheets puff pastry- used enough to cover the pie
  • 1 egg, beaten, to glaze crust
  • Black pepper
  • 1 pie crust premade
Final Product!!! YUMMY!!!RECOMMEND!!!

Directions

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Ground the beef in a hot pan. Add the garlic and onion and saute for 10 more minutes. Add the spices, white wine and soy sauce and cook until the liquid is mostly dissolved. Add the stock and cook for 20 minutes. Transfer to a container and cool.
Used pie crust and fill with a layer of meat mixture, a layer of cheese and a final layer of meat mixture. Cover with puff pastery and pinch sides closed like a pie..
Brush the top with egg wash and sprinkle with black pepper.
Bake until golden brown about 20 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment